Roast Goose (With Apples)
- Baked Apples:
- 6-8 firm medium apples, cored
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 whole wild goose, 6-8 pounds, skin on
- Seasoned salt
- Salt and pepper
- 1 carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 pieces
- Apple brandy or Calvados
- Remove a thin strip of peel from the top of each apple. In medium mixing bowl, combine remaining apple ingredients and mix well.
- Stuff apples with sweet potato mixture, mounding on top. Place in shallow baking dish. Set apples aside. Heat oven to 325ºF.
- Pat goose dry with paper towels. Sprinkle cavity lightly with seasoned salt, salt, and pepper. Place carrot, celery, and onion in cavity.
- Tie drumsticks across cavity. Tuck wing tips behind back. Place, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan. Sprinkle outside of goose with seasoned salt, salt, and pepper.
- Roast, basting frequently with pan juices and sprinkling occasionally with brandy, until desired doneness, about 20-25 minutes per pound. Drain and discard excess fat during roasting.
- Place stuffed apples in oven during last 30-45 minutes of roasting. Baste apples frequently with goose drippings. Remove apples when fork-tender. Allow goose to rest 20 minutes before carving and serving.